When you buy your favorite motorcycle, you intend to have a comfortable ride on it. However, the motorcycle comes with a company-fitted (stock) seat which may not give the expected comfort in most cases.
Therefore, you need to buy a seat pad for the rider and passenger seat and these extra soft layers between the stock seat and your bottom enable you to make long rides on the motorcycle comfortably.
This article assists you in selecting the best possible seat pad within your budget and takes you through the subtopics, such as why do you need a seat pad, highlights a few popular motorcycle seat pads on Amazon.com and Revzilla.com, outlines the things you must look for when you are buying a seat pad, and answers a few frequently asked questions.
II. Why do you need a seat pad for your motorcycle?
Of course, the short answer is that you need it to make your ride comfortable. However, apart from this, a good seat pad addresses many other issues listed below.
Disclaimer: some of the links on this page might be affiliate links. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Click here to learn more.
- A long ride on your motorcycle on an uncomfortable stock seat can make your body stiff and tired. A good seat pad can come to your rescue in this situation and makes your ride more relaxed.
- V. Many riders can experience back pain or other health issues due to sitting for long times on the hard motorcycle seat and the impact of riding affects your pelvic region. A soft seat pad between your bottom and the hard seat can do the magic and make your ride comfortable and enjoyable and minimize back pain and health issues. The pelvic and tailbone region of your body feels comfortable with a seat pad.
- Installing a quality seat pad cushion is much more economical than replacing the stock seat with an upgraded and comfortable seat.
- VII. Installing a quality seat pad cushion helps you ride long distances with fewer breaks, thus allowing you to reach your destination fast.
III. Popular motorcycle seat pads on Amazon.com
1. AirHawk 2 Comfort Seating System Seat Cushion-Medium Cruiser-Inflatable Seat Cushion with Black Cover-Made in the USA
AirHawk 2 Comfort Seating System Seat Cushion is inflatable with a multiple cell design to give you the ultimate seating comfort and absorption of vibration.
This inflatable, multiple cell design air cushion pad is made using polyurethane, breathable and stretchable fabric cover on the top, breathable mesh on the sides, nonskid material for the bottom, and includes cruiser straps. The seat pad measures 14ʺ length × 14ʺ width.
Open mesh side panel for allowing air circulation through the air cells and creates additional ventilation to minimize heat buildup.
AIRHAWK air cushion is based on their patented Air Cell Technology and gives you comfort on long rides. This air cushion is made in the USA and the design distributes your weight and pressure over the complete seating area and reduces the hot spots that are the causes of pains and aches. Suitable for touring, cruisers, and other types of motorcycles.
The AIRHAWK air cushion contains two components an outer sleek cover with a zip that opens to reveal the cushion inside and the inflatable and removable air pad.
The outer cover is made using a breathable spandex and spacer mesh to allow airflow through the seat. The airflow keeps you comfortable, cool and allows you to make long rides. The removable, and inflatable air pad is made using AIRHAWK patented air cell technology and this works for your body better than gel or foam.
Using this air cushion is simple. Turn the cushion valve counterclockwise to open, inflate the cushion by your mouth, and close the valve by turning it clockwise. Insert the air cushion into the seat (air cells facing upward) and sit on the seat with legs on the pegs in your normal posture. Open the cushion valve to release the air till you are comfortable and close the valve. The seller says the ideal inflation is 1/2ʺ off the seat.
This seat pad comes with a black cover, inflatable pad, 2 straps, and a repair kit.
- Distributes your weight and pressure over the complete seating area and reduces the hot spots that are the causes of pains and aches
- AIRHAWK air cushion is based on their patented Air Cell Technology and gives you comfort on long rides.
- Users are happy with this design except for two design flaws.
- Mid-range price
- Design flaw leads to a leak at the base of the valve
- Another user reports the same valve leak problem after 3 months and 1500 miles.
- The user says the seat pad is good but the straps need to be strengthened (the user rode 5000 miles on this).
2. HOMMIESAFE Air Motorcycle Seat Cushion Water Fillable Cooling Down Seat Pad. Pressure Relief Ride Motorcycle Air Cushion Large for Cruiser Touring Saddles (Black)
The HOMMIESAFE Air Motorcycle Seat Cushion uses a mosaic of tiny cushions and you can fill them with air or water. The design has air convection technology and antigravity effect and offers support for your spine, thigh, and hip, and achieves the effect of shock absorption.
The shallow groove design keeps you cool, the 3D airbag gap achieves a superb ventilation effect and makes the cushion comfortable and non-sticky. Reduces the heat transfer between your body and the seat to achieve cooling. Adding water into the seat pad helps you cool down (by dispensing heat).
Made using Lycra diving elastic fabric (feels delicate and soft) to improve the feel of the cushion and crease recovery. This material is of high rebound, has no deformation, and is repeatedly washable.
The TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) fabric has exceptional load-bearing capacity, shock absorption, and resistance to impact.
This seat pad uses antiskid particles, anti-slip particles bottom, and cross-wrapping method to keep the seat pad stable in its place.
The interconnected air cells of the seat pad distribute your weight and pressure evenly and absorb and reduce the shock from riding on rough roads. Allows better blood circulation to the legs by reducing pressure on the body.
The flexible and breathable stretch material minimizes humidity and sweating.
When you squeeze the airbags the air flows between the airbags and this process produces a uniform pressure “anti-gravity” effect.
This seat pad innovatively uses a water injection design, especially for long-distance motorcycle riders.
Take due care to keep this seat pad away from sharp items, and high temperatures. Do not machine wash the seat pad (only hand wash) and do not overinflate. The water can become very hot if the water-filled cushion is exposed to direct sunlight. One user advises changing the water regularly to avoid mold.
The package includes the air cushion, mini electric water pump, air pump, fabric straps (2 numbers), and user manual.
- Seat Cushion uses a mosaic of tiny cushions and you can fill them with air or water.
- The flexible and breathable stretch material minimizes humidity and sweating.
- Uses antiskid particles, anti-slip particles bottom, and cross-wrapping method
- Affordable price
- User reviews are good and positive.
- The users have used this seat pad with both air and water and are happy with the performance.
- Theft can be an issue if you leave it in the parking outside.
- Approximately adds one inch to the seat height.
3. SKWOOSH Classic Saddle Motorcycle Gel Seat Cushion Cooling Mesh Breathable Fabric
The shape and thickness of the SKWOOSH Classic Saddle Motorcycle Gel Seat Cushion are designed for low seat height motorcycles and do not appreciably change the distance to the pegs and lower controls. You can choose from two sizes long and short.
This does not affect the ergonomic design of the stock seat.
Breathable AirFlo mesh fabric gives you a cooler ride, keeps you dry, and the air channel design moves the airflow where it is required most.
The lightweight gel relieves the pressure on the sitting bones or bottom part of your pelvis.
You can fold it for storage. Lightweight, easy to use, and maintenance-free.
Welded construction, nonskid bottom, and snap strap attachment.
You can view the product dimensions on Amazon. The product is made in the USA.
- Breathable AirFlo mesh fabric gives you a cooler ride and keeps you dry.
- The lightweight gel relieves the pressure on the sitting bones or bottom part of your pelvis.
- This does not affect the ergonomic design of the stock seat.
- User reviews are generally good.
- Mid-range price
- One user complains that the gel moves away from the required area and wants design modifications.
- Another user did not feel firmly on his seat with this seat pad.
- The elastic strap is not adjustable and sufficient to move the pad to the center of the seat.
IV. Popular motorcycle seat pad on Revzilla.com
1. Speedmetal Gel Seat Pad
Key features of the product:
The SPEEDMETAL Gel Seat Pad is a great product to keep you comfortable on your long motorcycle rides and comes in 4 sizes SM, MD, LG, and XL (you will find one of these is suitable for you)
Made using medical grade polymer for the durability of the top pad, and the micro-spacer fabric enhance the airflow and reduce the building up of heat. The gel core minimizes the vibration.
The supply includes a set of adjustable elastic straps and quick-release clips to make the fit quick and easy.
This product is designed to fit a good range of motorcycles and comes in different sizes (the actual shape varies according to the size).
|SM||12ʺ ×8.5ʺ||LG||13ʺ ×16ʺ|
|MD||11ʺ ×14.5ʺ||XL||17ʺ ×16ʺ|
- Medical grade polymer for the durability of the top pad, and the micro-spacer fabric for the airflow
- Comes in 4 sizes SM, MD, LG, and XL
- The gel core minimizes the vibration.
- User reviews are generally good.
- Holds the heat for a long time if left in the sun.
- The user says this seat pad is okay but not great.
- One user says his back was left wet.
2. Wild Ass Air Gel Cruiser Seat Pad
Key features of the product:
The Wild Ass Air gel Cruiser seat pad removes the painful pressure points and helps good circulation using flexible interconnected air cells that conform to your body shape regardless of your weight or sitting posture.
Reduction of shock and vibration reduces your lower back pain, air circulation between your bottom and the seat pad takes away the heat and sweat.
Highly useful for riders who desire a reduction of painful pressure points, increased blood circulation, reduced shock and vibration, and reduction in moisture and heat in the seating area.
This seat pad has three layers of polyurethane. The gel pads inserted into each of the air cells gives additional cushioning, reduce shock and vibration.
You can use this air gel seat pad without air if you wish to feel cent percent closer to your motorcycle with a little cushioning.
- Highly useful for riders who desire a reduction of painful pressure points, increased blood circulation, reduced shock and vibration, and reduction in moisture and heat in the seating area.
- You can use this air gel seat pad without air if you wish to feel cent percent closer to your motorcycle with a little cushioning.
- Made in the USA
- High-end product
- No user reviews yet
3. Mustang Solo Passenger Seat for Harley
Key features of the product:
The Mustang Solo Passenger Seat for Harley is a seat pad dedicated for Harley motorcycle users to enhance the comfort of the rider companions. These seat pads are wide and deep and give comfort to the pillion rider on long rides.
This passenger seat pad extends forward to give additional back support to the driver.
Top-quality expanded vinyl is used for making the cover.
This product is made in the USA.
- Enhances the comfort of the rider’s companion on long rides
- Top-quality expanded vinyl is used for making the cover.
- The user says great quality and easy and quick to install.
- Many users said their wives liked and loved this seat pad.
- This product is made in the USA.
- High-end product
- One user says it obstructs the fitting of the driver’s backrest.
V. Things you must look for when you are buying the seat pad for your motorcycle.
Look for the following qualities when you are buying seat pads for your motorcycle:
- The seat pad should fit your motorcycle seat correctly and make your ride comfortable.
- You can find seat pads built using different materials viz. air cushion, foam, gel, sheepskin, etc. The cost of the seat pad varies from material to material. This is a personal choice and preference and you have to make a decision. You can select a material that works well for you.
Air cushion: As the name suggests, you can inflate the cushion with air to make it comfortable for your bottom. The air cushion provides evenly distributed pressure, acts as a shock absorber, and you can inflate or deflate to adjust the seat height.
Foam: Foam is a good old material and gives comfort to your bottom and also acts as a shock absorber. Branded seat pads use high-density foam for long life and some manufacturers use a combination of foam and gel.
Gel: The gel material was initially used for making seat pads for wheelchair patients and looking at its advantages it was adopted for the motorcycle seat pads. The gel seat pad distributes the pressure evenly, adapts to your body shape, and makes your ride comfortable.
Sheepskin: The sheepskin provides air circulation, keeps you comfortable in winter as well as summer, and easily dries if you happen to be caught in the rain.
- Each motorcycle seat has its size and shape and the seat pad you are planning to buy should fit on it. Measure your motorcycle seat dimensions and ensure the seat pad fits correctly. You can also enquire with the seller to confirm the seat pad fits your motorcycle model. The user reviews can also help you in this.
- There are seat pads for rider seats as well as passenger seats, mind which one you are buying. If you intend to buy both the rider and the passenger seat pads, it is wise to buy the same brand to retain the symmetry and look.
- The cover material is equally important and a quality breathable cover material can keep your bottom cool on a long ride. Also, the cover should have the correct fit and a nonskid texture.
- Installing a seat pad will increase the effective seat height of your motorcycle, and if this is a matter of concern to you the thickness of the seat pad and its effect on the seat height is to be examined. Seat pads that use air as the cushion give you the flexibility of adjusting the pad thickness by deflating.
- Resistance against moisture: Most motorcycle riders are more active during warmer days and there is bound to be sweating. A seat pad with good ventilation, airflow, and sweat absorbability can make your ride comfortable in warm weather.
- Other things you should look for are ease of installation and the seat pad should be securely installed on the seat. Examine how easy it is to install the seat pad securely and quickly. Further, you must be able to have a comfortable posture when sitting on the seat pad. And, look for a seat pad that has good gripping material on its underside.
VI. Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
|1||Will the seat pad affect the seat height of my motorcycle?|
|Yes, the seat height marginally increases when you install the seat pad. If you are very sensitive to seat height, look for seat pads with an air cushion. Air cushion seat pads provide you the flexibility of adjusting their thickness.|
|2||Are the seat pads made of waterproof material?|
|No, all the seat pads may not have waterproof material. However, some seat pads can have material that dries fast. Please study the specification and ask questions to the seller before you make your selection.|
|3||Is it necessary to buy the seat pads for rider and passenger seats together?|
|It is not mandatory but desirable. If you are willing to invest in seat pads for rider and passenger seats it is wise to do it together. It saves you on delivery cost and the same brand seat pads are compatible and looks good on your motorcycle.|
|4||Is installing the seat pad on my motorcycle seat simple and easy?|
|Most of the seat pads come with straps and buckles and a gripping surface on the bottom to keep them in place when the motorcycle is in motion. Normally you can install the seat pads quickly and easily.|
Having a quality seat pad on the motorcycle is vital for making your rides comfortable and enjoyable.
Hope the above paragraphs have fed you with sufficient information and now you are comfortable and capable of selecting a quality seat pad that fits your motorcycle seat.